Saturday, August 10, 2013

New applique project

Here it is! My new applique project. Well, a picture of the pattern anyway.


 

Sorry for the glare at the bottom. Here is a different photo, at an angle but without the glare. Isn't it gorgeous? It will finish at 90 x 110. Every bit of it is applique except for the sashing and inner border. I'll be doing needle turn applique.

I bought this pattern off Craftsy.com a few months ago, and have been waiting for just the right time to start it. Now that I can't machine sew for a couple of months, I'm ready for some hand sewing. The pattern is by Sindy Rodenmayer. I LOVE this pattern. I figure it will only take me about 20 years to complete. More or less.

I've already started the first block. Unfortunately, I've been doing as much tearing out as I have sewing. While I love the pattern, this is the first applique pattern that I've tried that does not have a layout sheet. I'm trying to determine placement by eyeballing the pattern. Not as easy as it sounds! I managed to get the middle floral pattern sewn down nicely, but I've sewn down and torn out several other portions so far.


Terrible color on that blue center. Here is a photo that shows the true light blue color.
 
I'll continue to take and post photos as I progress. I plan to start back to work on Monday, so I'll only be able to work in the evenings and on the weekends again. I had considered taking Monday and Tuesday off and returning on Wednesday for the in-services, but I really have a lot to do, so I'm going to give it a shot. I can always head home early if I have to. My students don't come back until the 19th, so next week is still fluid.
 
I have lousy light here in the bedroom, so I'll try to crutch into the sewing room tomorrow and get some more sewing done. That is if I can work over Sinnie's head! He's so upset about the cast and the crutches that he won't even come into the bedroom. When I sit in the living room, dining room, or sewing room, however, he immediately hops into my lap and refuses to move. He has never been a lap kitty before, but he's learning quickly. Poor sweet. I have another nine weeks in a cast. It's going to be a loooong nine weeks for the poor kitty.
 
Well, time to catch up on my blog reading. I'm waaaay behind!
 
Deb

No comments:

Post a Comment

How are you and what are you thinking? I'd love to hear from you!