Friday, May 3, 2013

The end is coming! The end is coming!

That's right. The end is coming. Next Friday, to be exact. Thank goodness! It can't come soon enough in my opinion.



No, no. No need to hide, Sinbad. Come on out of the cupboard. It's not the end of the world, silly. It's just the end of the semester.

I've been on my computer non-stop for the last month, but obviously not on my blog (sorry, Sis!). No, I've been getting ready for the end of one semester and the beginning of another. We finish with the spring semester on Friday, May 10, and begin the summer semester Monday, May 13. No rest for the wicked!

By the way, how is your weather? We're well into spring, but look what I woke up to this morning! Snow! The first snow in May in recorded history in my state.
 Above - My windshield from the outside.

My windshield from the inside.
 
 Now you see it...
 
Now you don't!
 
Mom's front yard.
 
I took this photo of grass seed heads last Sunday while out looking for morel mushrooms on a warm, sunny day.
 
Now I have snow petunias.
 
 And toasty warm kitties!
 
 
And if you promise not to tell my boss, I'll show you what else I was able to sneak in these last two weeks between grading papers. 

I made this block for my kit quilt.
 
 And this one.
 
And this one. I now have baker's dozen blocks finished. I need seven more before I can start with the sashing. I'm really liking it so far.
 
 I also managed to get the binding finished on this quilt.
 
 I still need to add a label, but then it's done! I like it!
 
 
And then there was this little project. Three weeks ago, my husband and I bought a new chick coop for the chicks. In came unassembled, of course. It rained every day for the first week, so we couldn't get out to build it. Two weeks ago, Mom came over, and she and I got this little baby together. We're the talented ones in the family with hammer and screw driver. Of course, it helped that this project was super simple to assemble. : )
 

 Isn't it cute? It has three access doors and a back hatch.
Peeking in the back hatch, we can see the two nest boxes. (At the bottom of the photo. You can see the divider in the bottom middle.) Later this season, when we have nesting hens, we'll put them in the coop to protect them and let the eggs hatch there. All we need is some straw to fluff up the nests.
 
 The chicks seem to have settled in quite nicely. Now the big chickens want their chance to get in!
 
And I'll end today's post with a preview of some upcoming photos. This was the Best of Show quilt at our local guild quilt show last month. It was made by around a dozen quilters (I forget how many exactly). They divided up a photo and each one made a section of it without showing it to the others. Then they sewed all the sections together.
 

 
The two photos below show some closer views. If you look closely, you can see the joins of the sections. The entire quilt is incredible. What a fun idea!
 
 
 
Oops. Two more photos - Below is my sweet, little baby quilt that won third place! Hurray! I finally got to mail it off to my new grand-niece. I got an e-mail yesterday saying that it had arrived safe and sound. Her mommy loved it. I'm so pleased. 
 
And lastly, Mom's second place win. An adorable baby quilt featuring baby bunnies. Congratulations again, Mom! Well deserved.
 
Next time I'll share some more photos from the show. There were some fabulous quilts there! And maybe I'll have another kit quilt block done...
 
Til then,
Debbi



1 comment:

  1. Oh, my gosh...you have been keeping busy! Crazy weather. Lots of eye candy going on! Love it!

    ReplyDelete

How are you and what are you thinking? I'd love to hear from you!