Monday, September 3, 2012

Catch up time!

Whew! What a week! My last post was on the day before my birthday. I won't tell you how old I am, but I will say I skipped my 30th school reunion this weekend. I thought about going to the reunion, but then decided that friends 30 years ago are complete strangers today. I wouldn't know what to say. That does not mean that I didn't do anything with my birthday and holiday weekend though.

On my birthday my husband and my mother agreed to take me to the local fair where Mom had a number of her quilts entered. She won a blue ribbon on every one of her quilts! AND the award for Best of Show for Applique! Go, Mom!

We had glorious, much needed rain in the days surrounding my birthday (thanks to Hurricane Isaac), then, on our way to the fairgrounds, we saw this beautiful sight. It was a full rainbow in a beautiful sky. What a lovely birthday present.  : )




Then it was on to the fair itself. I took this photo of a very young Jersey calf to show to my office mate. She saw a Jersey calf a couple of months ago and was convinced it was starving. Nope. Jerseys just look like they are. This is a perfectly healthy baby.


And right next door to the Jersey calf was this little fellow. He was playing Hide and Seek with us. What a cutie!


For my birthday Mom bought me some beautiful pieces of metal art to hang on my new fence. Exactly what I asked for! Except that they never made it to the fence. I carried them into the house and leaned them up against the wall inside the sunroom for the night. When I got up the day and saw this piece against the brick, I knew that I had found its new home. My husband agreed and hung it up this weekend.


He then decided that we needed to balance out the other side of the door with another piece. We chose this one so that the wall wouldn't look so crowded with the shelving unit below the light fixture. Aren't they both beautiful? Mom also gave me a wonderful iron gecko, but I do plan on hanging it outside on the fence. Since the temps are back near the 100's, I think I'll wait until next weekend for our anticipated next cool front before I get outside with a hammer and nail.

And speaking of the sunroom - I was sitting out there with my kitty pals the other night when Maxie went crazy and started attacking the window. I went outside to see what was exciting her and found this lovely, large moth. I took a picture of it so show to my husband and managed to get a good shot of Maxie's attack at the same time! It's a good thing there was a window between the two! Sorry about the flash in the window.

A short time later, our next door neighbors set off fire works to celebrate Labor Day a little early. Due to the fire bans brought on by the drought, people in my county were allowed to set off fireworks now instead of for July 4. Anyway, Sinbad hates loud noises, so I was surprised that he stayed on his kitty tower. I was even more surprised - shocked even - when he was joined by Maxie! Those two rarely ever get within five feet of each other without hisses and threatening poses. Sinbad was watching out for more fireworks, and Maxie was watching to make sure her moth didn't fly away. They had each other's backs!


Nope, no pictures of sewing projects. Sorry, but my elbow is extremely painful, and I'm still trying to rest it and let it heal. Maybe next time.

Last but not least, Stephen - for some reason your last comment to me does not show up on the blog, but I did get it. In case you did not get my reply, I'm sorry I don't know enough about computers to figure out how to allow you to add your pictures but I do want to post them. If you'd like to send me pictures of yours and your mom's quilts, I'd love to post them on the blog for everyone to see. Just email them to me at debmoore@centurytel.net. The same goes to any reader who would like me to share pictures of their work. I'd love to share what everyone is working on. Email me the photos, and I'll add them. Thank you for being willing to share, Stephen!

Until later,
Debbi

No comments:

Post a Comment

How are you and what are you thinking? I'd love to hear from you!