Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Tonga Batik pattern progress.

This quilt top is going so slowly! Another two weekends and I should have the settings finished on this Tonga Batick pattern. Then I get to start on the borders. Whew! The others were right. The blocks did not take half as long as the settings and border!

 
 I never use templates. I hate templates. Especially paper ones. Anyway, here is the paper template for one side of the zig-zag pattern for one of the setting sections.

 This is one of the above sections with corners sewn on to make a 6 1/4" x 9" piece. I then trimmed off the oversized corners.
I added the two sections together to get the zig-zag portion of the setting. As you can see in the photo below, there are two of these zig-zags.

Here is a photo of the Tonga Batik BOM pattern. I did pay for and get all of the fabric for this quilt, but I decided to use my own fabrics for two reasons. One, I did not want my quilt to look just like everyone else's, and two, I knew I would make mistakes and wanted to have plenty of fabric on hand to try and try again. Sure enough, I messed up three of the zig-zag pattern blocks and had to make another strip set. I'm not sure I would have had enough material if I had had to use only what was given to me for the pattern. I know my limitations. I can only breathe comfortably if I have plenty of fabric to allow for errors. I think that's why I prefer to make up my own patterns. If I make a mistake and run out of fabric, I can just change the pattern. That's fredom!

I'll keep you posted on progress. Meanwhile, Mom's working hard on getting my heart quilt quilted for me. I can't wait to see how it turns out!

Happy stitching...
Deb

No comments:

Post a Comment

How are you and what are you thinking? I'd love to hear from you!