Sunday, March 4, 2012

Hearts finished (except for binding) and Tonga...well...in progress...

Sorry I didn't post earlier, but I had a migraine Friday night that came back Saturday morning, which was a shame since I really wanted to learn how to make the bag that Katha was showing us at the Dogwood meeting that morning. Instead, Mom and I attended the meeting but left early because we both had headaches by the time the lesson started. Oh well, I paid attention to her instructions - maybe I can try to make one by myself later.

Anyway, I promised photos of my finished heart quilt now that  it's quilted, so here are a couple.
Mom quilted a heart on the bottom of each of the hearts bocks. Aren't they cute?
The blocks don't alway have striped fabric on the right, it's just that the heart quilting shows up really well on that fabric.
Here is the finished quilt (well, finished except for binding). I haven't measured it, but it's more of a lap or twin sized quilt.
This is the finished back. I don't usually do anything very fancy on the back, but I'm glad I did for this one.

Now, a sad story. Just look at the piece below. It is the inset piece between the blocks of my Tonga Batik Block of the Month quilt that I've been working on forever. I was getting ready to cut down and sew all of the inset pieces that join the blocks together when I noticed a problem.

 As you can see, I used a blue-green fabric for part of the zig-zag, but gray for the long pieces. They are supposed to match.
Yes, sad looking, isn't it? Needless to say, I had to rip out unsew all of the gray pieces and replace them with the blue-green. Although I liked the way the gray looked, the blue-green blended better, so it won.

Once I got the right strips in, I tried them out to see what the quilt would look like. This is how I caught the error in the first place. This looks better!

 Another view of the proposed setting.

 This was the corrected vee inset piece before I cut it down.

 All lined up and ready to cut.

 I hate the waste that this type of trimming creates. But I have to say I like the way it finishes.

This is the middle of the quilt top. Four more borders to go. Sigh. How does it look so far? Did I mention another four more borders? Pieced? Heavy sigh. I hope they require gray strips. Heavy, heavy, sigh...

It's late and I have about three loads of laundry to put up before bedtime, so I'm through for the night. I hope your quilting weekend went well.

Debbi

P.S. Don't anybody mention bias edges and matching zig-zag lines! Ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment

How are you and what are you thinking? I'd love to hear from you!