Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Bye, bye, sumo wrestler baby!

First, the good news. I tossed out the sumo wrestler baby with the bathwater! This color combination is out!


I loved the color combo above, but it seemed to set too much of a baby tone for the quilt. The instructions for this quilt said to use fat quarters and neglected to mention that these five blocks cannot be completed with fat quarters (the outside quarter square triangles require more than a fat quarter of fabric), so I grabbed the first green fabric off my shelf. While I love the fabric (sorry, I keep forgetting to remove the light green cutting board before I take my pictures), I hated the fact that it made the whole bock look like a baby blanket wannabe. One block would not have been bad, but five of them would have been too much for me.


So, out with the giant baby quilt and in with the tropical sunset. Actually, for those of you who may have preferred the green, it wasn't to be. The instructions said to cut the side quarter square  triangles from a 7 1/4" square. I don't know on what planet a 7 1/4" square would have worked, but not on mine! I now have 20 side set triangles that are too small for this block. I had to chose a new fabric and cut it 7 1/2". That worked perfectly! Now, I know that the block above looks a bit...loud and...oddly colored and...well, questionable, but I think it will work out in the great scheme of things. You'll need to see the rest of the fabrics before you judge. It really doesn't look that bad off of the cutting board. The violet doesn't look so strong.



Speaking of the rest of the fabrics, here are the fabrics for the second block. Again, bad color in this photo. There will be four of these alternating with the five above. Believe it or not, the rest of the fabrics I have chosen will bring these together. I hope. If not...oh dear, it's going to be a mess. I'm really not very good at making scrap quilts. This is really a challenge for me. Deep breath...and exhale. Okay, I'm calmer now.



A couple of my African violets - with Tessie's back in the background. I have about six violets in bloom right now. I'm still coaxing four more sleepy violets that just "don't wanna" bloom.

I'll work some more on my blocks on my first day off tomorrow. Hurray! I'll try to get some better photos that will be more true to color. 

Debbi 

No comments:

Post a Comment

How are you and what are you thinking? I'd love to hear from you!