Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Sister Quilts

Some of you may remember the first sister quilt that I finished last year. The top had been finished for about two or three years, but I finally got around to making a backing and having Mom quilt it for me. I began making two quilts of the same design but with different focal fabrics. All of the coordinating fabrics are the same. Here is the top of Sister Quilt #1 before it was finished.  


Here is the same quilt at the Airing of the Quilts last month. The color in the first photo is the true color.


Below is the photo I took of the second sister quilt for my Unfinished To-Do Project list earlier this year. As you can see, only the middle was finished. No outside borders yet. At this time, the pattern was still identical to the quilt above.


This is a photo I took of my proposed borders when I was still in the planning stage a couple of years ago. Sinbad is posing with his rearranged pieces at his paws. He thought the rumpled look was much better!

Last weekend I got out the second Sister Quilt top and took another look at it. I'm still at a loss for how to finish this. The first quilt was easy - I had a border fabric that matched the focal fabric. This one...hmmm.


This is where I am now. I have the triangle border sewn on - you can't see it in this photo, but it is a broken border on the top left and the bottom right. I haven't decided if I want to leave an expanse of unbroken black for Mom to play with on her quilting machine or if I want to applique a flower from my focal fabric in these spaces - now that I know how to applique! I'll let you know when I decide. Any suggestions?

I just tossed these next two photos on here because I ran across them again, and this is one of my favorite quilts that I've designed and made. This was one of my first efforts. Isn't it cheery?

Tomorrow I'll show you some of my recently finished quilts. I took photos this weekend, but I'm out of time now and have to run! More photos later...

Debbi


No comments:

Post a Comment

How are you and what are you thinking? I'd love to hear from you!